👩🏻💻 The State of Developer Productivity 👩🏻💻
Yesterday, Haystack published a new report: "EngProd 2021: A Review on the State of Developer Productivity". You may have seen some of this research picked up in ComputerWeekly.
We reviewed research from the 2021 State of DevOps Reports (those published by Google's DORA team and Puppet), alongside considering own data.
Benchmarks show that the software industry is increasingly competitive. Poor performing technology teams, where leadership continues to cash executive paycheques whilst the clock counts down to the shutters descending on their business, are making way for companies with stronger performing technology teams. Even in challenging markets, high performing technology teams have defined themselves by allowing businesses to pivot to find ever stronger customer demand, despite trial and error.
We found that there was one common practice that was foundational in allowing elite engineering teams to deliver exceptional business performance, drive software reliability and prevent burnout; namely that psychological safety is foundational.
Puppet research found that low performing teams were 2.2x more likely to have a culture that discourages risk than their high performing counterparts. Whilst Google's report found: “High-performing organizations are more likely to have a culture that encourages employees to take calculated and moderate risks without fear of negative consequences.”
🕵️♀️ Activity Drill down 🕵️♀️
Do you wonder what activity is happening at a certain times (like weekends)?
We have added drill down ability for the Activity Heatmap page. You will now be able to see each of 4 activities happening in GitHub for a specific time period:
- Pull Request Open
- Pull Request Merge
🛠 Deployment Contains Git Tag Configuration 🛠
Is your team using staging-v1.2.3, prod-v1.2.3 to represent different environment releases? Haystack now allows you configure the tag pattern to track releases more accurately!
🛠 Failure Rate Branch Name Configuration 🛠
Do you have some teams that uses hotfix/ or fix/ branch naming conventions to represent hotfixes?
Haystack now allow you to track Change Failure Rate using branch naming conventions!
💡 Improvements 💡
- Add spinning wheel icons when calculating pull requests or deployments after configuration changes
🕷 Bug Fixes 🕷
- Fixed bug where unassigned team members were not able to be assigned
- Fixed bug where blacklist label would do contains rather than exact match
- Fixed bug where loading indicator on setting page would wait unrelated calls
⏰ In case you missed it ⏰
- 🚀 New Backend, Faster Dashboard 🚀 - We wanted to support users by iterating faster while maintaining fast query speeds. With this refactor, Haystack will be more reliable and iterate at a much faster pace!
- 🛠 Drilldown Deployments 🛠 - We have added support to drilldown into Deployments and Hotfix Deployments.
- 🏗 Improving Change Failure Calculation 🏗 - Failure rate calculation is now more accurate!
- 🔄 Auto Repository Sync 🔄 - We added an 'Auto Sync' feature to automatically sync your Github Repositories into Haystack.
- 🔄 Auto Team Sync 🔄 - We added an 'Auto Sync' feature to automatically sync your Github Teams into Haystack so you can use Github Teams as your 'source of truth'
- 📰 Product Page - Keep up to date with feature releases here!